Aircraft tires spin 1.6 times faster than car tires. Out-of-balance wheel cause a long list of maintenance problems:
- Uneven tire wear
- Premature bearing wear
- Shimmy and resulting torque link damage
- Destructive and distracting airframe vibration
McFarlane's wheel balancer is a suspension wheel balancer with a patented design featuring a pivot point that is easily adjustable on-the-fly for maximum balance sensitivity. It is small enough to fit in a tool box and doesn't require a bulky stand. The McFarlane design is more precise than other static balancing methods, and allows the wheel to be balanced with the bearings and seals installed.
It's fast and easy! Due to the horizontal balancing orientation, test weights can be temporarily set in place and easily adjusted while balancing. This eliminates the need to tape the test weights. The McFarlane wheel balancers are precision machined with a black, hard anodized finish, and come in an oiled wooden case. This is a lifetime tool that fits almost all light aircraft wheel/tire assemblies.
- On-the-fly adjustable pivot point for maximum sensitivity (U.S. Patent No. US 9,032,793 B1)
- Portable - small enough to fit in your tool box
- Does not require removal of bearings or seals
- Multiple models and add-on bushing kits to accommodate 3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/8", 1-5/8" and 2" axles
Can You Stop Nose Gear Shimmy? by Dave McFarlane